We’re SYBO Games, based in Copenhagen, Denmark, and we're best known for being the developers of the most downloaded mobile game of all time, Subway Surfers, which at last count has over 1.5 billion downloads worldwide with tens of millions of people playing the game daily. While these are crazy numbers, we're not stopping there!
We've got new games in the pipeline, and we’re looking for an experienced and passionate Backend Engineer to join our team as we embark on these adventures.
As a Backend Engineer at SYBO, you will be an intricate part of solving the many tough challenges we face when building very ambitious, top-notch F2P games that can compete with the very best out there. You will be part of small, agile game teams, helping develop game services and highly available, robust systems using state-of-the-art technologies and frameworks to support live operations on all our games, including working with existing / off-the-shelf solutions.
Sound like the perfect job for you? Read on!
As a Backend Engineer, you will primarily be responsible for:
- Technical design, implementation and maintenance of game services utilising HTTP-based APIs, batch processing and client-server services using Go.
- Working together with the Game Engineers in projects and helping integrate these developed services with client-side games components and frameworks.
- Writing custom game server logic in an efficient, robust and optimised manner.
- Building and operating the cloud infrastructure of our live games using AWS as well as external off-the-shelf backend service providers.
- Help maintain and improve the overall code quality of our in-house solutions.
- Taking an active part in ensuring that our roadmap and architecture fits the bigger picture of what we are trying to accomplish.
You must be a well-rounded engineer that is both able and willing to take on tasks from any of these areas. We are a small team and we need everyone to be able to step up and have the ability to handle the majority of issues that could pop up - especially those that might directly affect our players.
- Have a higher education degree in a relevant field
- Have excellent programming skills and a desire to work with Go
- Experience with AWS and cloud infrastructure in general
- Have solid experience working with databases (preferably from both SQL and NoSQL systems)
- Be very comfortable in a Linux based environment and its command line tools (we use Amazon Linux/Ubuntu)
- Know why security matters and how you minimize vulnerabilities in both the code you write and the systems you design
- Be able to keep a cool head under pressure, when issues pop up in live production environments
- Be fluent in English - both verbally and written
- And, most importantly: have a strong passion for both making and playing games!
- Have prior experience working within the games industry, on shipped titles
- Have experience with C# and Unity
- Have deep knowledge about networking and protocols
- Have experience with synchronous multiplayer and building game servers
- Have operational experience with backend systems and databases at scale
At SYBO we build brands worthy of devotion - we are more than the sum of our parts and our staff are the beating heart of everything we make and do. Our core values are: We believe in Solid Products, we work in a Synced Community, we make our Performance Matter, we are Passionate Colleagues and we do Daily High Fives!
We can brag about:
- Having the best office location in Copenhagen
- Giving you a chance to do the work of your life
- Having an informal and creative culture where everybody is heard
We also have...
- Health insurance for every employee
- A pension plan
- Healthy lunch buffet
- Currently 18 nationalities
- Lots of fun!